"I have, like, a pipebomb in my chest. It's about to explode! That's my heart by the way. My heart is the pipebomb and it's about to explode with, like, love and care"Chikafuji Lisa

Discord Alternatives - Avoid the Vermintide

Last Of The Mohicans

shopping cart not included
To add to the above, there's not a reason to believe what happened affects the forum in any way.

Johnny Jambalaya

BlueSharkTV alt account
Early Adopter
Ward Security
Server is down for the foreseeable future (aka the weekend) because the host took it offline after suspecting it may have been hacked. They haven't given me real info about the details beyond the reports supplied by their systems, though current speculation is that some kind of generic botnet managed to access it.

I have zero reason to suspect this was anything other than a random automated attack, given the nature of the reports supplied. Still, user information may have been compromised. NATURALLY this happened late Friday, so I doubt I'll get anymore staff contact until Monday. Yay.
If this is a US based company it is possible you get no response until Wednesday as Tuesday is a holiday and I know some places will give that Monday off as well.

Hotdogs Aplenty

King Shiori Poster
Early Adopter
Should of hosted the server in Sealand

Topo Chico

Drink Topo Chico!
So the Matrix is up, any more deets on the attack/downtime? Any user info compromised?

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Oh great, they restarted the server without telling me. Wonderful.

Edit: Actually they did tell me, but I didn't realize that restarting would also turn the server on completely.

Last edited:

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Down again. Abuse reports resumed. I'm going to be away again until sometime Wednesday/Thursday. I think I'll go through with a complete reinstall. It'll wipe the data, but be certain to purge any threats. I'm kind of happy with that; now that I more or less understand how Matrix works I'd like to start from scratch and build a 2.0 server that's less barren and has a bit more focus.

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
I'll be bringing this back up sometime in the week. I've been dealing extensively with other things since I got back. In particular, the roughly ten pounds of blackcurrents I harvested off my bush a week ago, every single one of which needs to be hulled individually and by hand before they start to rot, so I can make jam. Mmmm, jam.

Such is the dichotomy of a busy site manager.

Johnny Jambalaya

BlueSharkTV alt account
Early Adopter
Ward Security
I'll be bringing this back up sometime in the week. I've been dealing extensively with other things since I got back. In particular, the roughly ten pounds of blackcurrents I harvested off my bush a week ago, every single one of which needs to be hulled individually and by hand before they start to rot, so I can make jam. Mmmm, jam.

Reject the devil fruit

SandySunDunes

Finally got my own server up and running last week. Didn't manage to get the full array of services up and running, but have chat going. File uploads are weird from mobile Element clients, only compressed photos are working for some reason. Need to fix that at some point. At least everything works in browser.

The promised rage post fizzled out. Basic gist is that if you don't want to touch Vector or Google services you need to host your own Client (e.g Element), Matrix Homeserver (e.g Synapse), Integrations Server (e.g Dimension), Identity Server if you require it (e.g Sydent), Push Gateway if you require it (e.g Sygnal), either disable rageshake + analytics or self-host them, and finally you also need to host Jitsi. Even doing that you probably won't be able to avoid touching Vector and Google at least a little bit if you're trying to onboard non-tech-savvy family. Since, from what I remember, the Element mobile application in both iOS and Android forms default to using services from those companies in any event that it can't reach said services hosted on the homeserver you're connected to.

The following essay https://gitlab.com/libremonde-org/papers/research/privacy-matrix.org/-/blob/master/part1/README.md lists shit out far better than I could. It was originally written back in 2020 or so, but most of the issues listed still apply.

lmao, just double checked some of the issues I was raging about last month and it looks like three years after figuring out how to not kill the client by default when it can't phone home on startup, they're finally implementing it. (https://github.com/vector-im/element-web/issues/11655#issuecomment-646065432 and https://github.com/vector-im/element-web/pull/25682).

Sometime this weekend I'm going to have to sign up for your server. I missed the first round. Maybe try out Cinny and see if it's less shit than Element.
Fuck you, I want some black current jam now.

Jealous

Lurker
1689332602771.png
Is it currently empty right now?

Kourai

Not pictured: the will to live
Early Adopter
Archivist
Top Bottom