"i will never forgive turtles for taking away the plastic straws out of lolipops"Tenma Maemi

Discord Alternatives - Avoid the Vermintide

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
After a thousand years.

1686357639864.png

Very big thanks to @LastOfTheMohicans for putting up with my extreme idiocy throughout the setup process. I'll share the details after I've actually set up Matrix itself.

Last Of The Mohicans

shopping cart not included

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Matrix instance is now set up. I only need to flail around and setup things like a ToS and permissions now.

Last Of The Mohicans

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
So which matrix client is everyone going to check out. Asking for a friend.

Last Of The Mohicans

So which matrix client is everyone going to check out. Asking for a friend.
Any time Matrix gets a fancy new feature, the first client to support it will always be Element.

A WORD OF ADVICE TO ELEMENT USERS

Your chat timeline will default to including the shit like <user has changed profile picture> and <user has left/joined room>. This becomes super annoying when there's a lot of joins, leaves, and name/pfp changes.

You can turn most of that shit off in settings. Screenshot included.

1687489352450.png

1687489643902.png

1687489712785.png

Last edited:

Topo Chico

Drink Topo Chico!
Ok so looking at youtube for images/videos of actually being in most of the clients, they don't show shit. So, here's some images:
Spoiled to not make you infinitely scroll through 5 big images
Hydrogen on web:
1687554938065.png
Cinny windows client:
1687554965722.png
Element on windows:
1687554995034.png
Fluffychat actually has images of what the fucking client looks like before you download:
1687555127720.png
SchildiChat over the web:
1687555230119.png
Hydrogen is very flat. Cinny looks most like discord. Element is sleek. Fluffychat gives me apple messaging vibes. SchildiChat is based on element. And that's a quick little look at what the featured and a couple other clients look like. I don't know what proctor has in mind in terms of what you'll miss out on by not having all the features any one client has to offer, but it's dead simple to download and login to a different client if any issue does arise. They--for the most part--look very similar.
Join the matrix, cheers.

Last edited:

Nenélove

Cured and Medicated
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
I may sound like a retard (I am) but how do you actually join the server proctor set up? I know I'm gonna be told "IT WORKS LIKE DISCORD YOU MORON!" but to my knowledge discord requires invites/knowing the server name and neither has been provided.

Topo Chico

Drink Topo Chico!
I may sound like a retard (I am) but how do you actually join the server proctor set up? I know I'm gonna be told "IT WORKS LIKE DISCORD YOU MORON!" but to my knowledge discord requires invites/knowing the server name and neither has been provided.
Step by step
So for element over the web: https://app.element.io/#/register
You click the "edit"
1687720968582.png
Paste the address in the announcement
1687720999414.png
Fill out the username and passwords (no email needed) and you're in.
When you're in then you click the explore rooms option at the top left of the browser/client:
1687721100095.png
You will see this, and you will click join (not view as I've already joined them):
1687721132489.png

Last Of The Mohicans

Step 1) Find a Matrix client you want to use. For the purposes of example, I'm going to use the web version of Cinny. https://app.cinny.in/
Step 2) Find the register button in your client of choice.
1687720705377.png
Step 3) Find the Homeserver field, and in it put chat.virtuallyinsane.me
Step 4) Fill out the other fields
1687721131778.png
Step 5) Make sure to keep this session logged in if you switch clients or add the account to your phone, because Matrix has a concept about verifying sessions to make sure every new machine that logs into your account is actually you that I don't feel like teaching right now but ask me later if you're curious.

Nenélove

Cured and Medicated
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
Oh whoops, I think I completely ignored the homeserver field on account creation and made an account with just matrix lol

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

That server name feels like bait, haha.

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member

Stock Footage

So Last night I was able to make an account and join the server. everything was working fine until I logged back on today. chat wouldn't load so I tried to log back in. when I was putting in the homeserver url it kept giving me an Error:
Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED Error: Unexpected error resolving homeserver configuration
I am running a VPN so That might be effecting thigs. any ways to fix this?

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
That's because the homeserver is currently down pending host moving. I am also going to be travelling tomorrow so it may be down longer. We'll see.

Last Of The Mohicans

server is back up by the way

Kourai

Not pictured: the will to live
Early Adopter
Archivist
1688137100185.png
Is the server down or have I been banned or am I being retarded?

UberSoldat

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
I'm dealing with this now. @LastOfTheMohicans If you happen to check here before Discord, I messaged you there.

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Server is down for the foreseeable future (aka the weekend) because the host took it offline after suspecting it may have been hacked. They haven't given me real info about the details beyond the reports supplied by their systems, though current speculation is that some kind of generic botnet managed to access it.

I have zero reason to suspect this was anything other than a random automated attack, given the nature of the reports supplied. Still, user information may have been compromised. NATURALLY this happened late Friday, so I doubt I'll get anymore staff contact until Monday. Yay.

Top Bottom